The benefits of sport and remedial massage and is it for me:
It is likely you will have heard of sports massage, seen it advertised, or even received sports massage in the past. But you might be wondering what benefits it offers, is it for me and what does massage at Capital Physio entail. We asked our Massage Therapist Matt Peterson to give us the low-down…
Massage and it’s benefits:
There are numerous benefits to receiving massage, including physical, physiological and psychological. This is one of the reasons it is such a popular choice for people from all walks of life providing an effective treatment according to the particular needs of a client. Below are just a few of the benefits that massage can provide:
- Relaxation – massage helps the muscles relax through heat generated, circulation and stretching. It may also lower high blood pressure.
- Flexibility – someone with tight muscles may have better flexibility following treatment.
- Pain Reduction – massage assists in reducing tension and releases the body’s endorphins, influencing our pain reception.
- Recovery – massage can help improve recovery from trauma and fatigue.
- Prevention – massage can assist in the prevention of injury in the long term.
- Health – massage helps maintain and improve the health of the soft tissues due to the effects on blood circulation.
- Invigoration/Increased Energy – massage can leave you feeling invigorated and with more energy. This can be of real benefit before an event or competition.
- Reduces Anxiety – massage induces relaxation which in turn reduces anxiety.
Is it for me:
Hopefully that all sounds great but now you might be wondering is sports massage for me? Sports and remedial massage can actually benefit everyone. As the name suggests it can be a valuable asset for people involved with sports and fitness at all levels from casual sport participants and weekend warriors to professional athletes. Massage can help you recover quicker which in turn allows for more intensive training with a lower risk of overuse injury. As well as post-event or post-training, massage can assist pre-event. In the build up to competition it can help achieve the fullest recovery possible allowing for maximum performance but it can also be used to reduce anxiety if required or increase stimulation and invigoration. As well as sports people the same benefits can be applied to other active professions such as performers, dancers and musicians.
However sport and remedial massage is not only useful for those involved in sport or who have an active lifestyle. It can be very beneficial to those recovering from all types of injury by aiding the healing and rehabilitation processes. Many people suffer from minor and chronic injuries resulting from their job whether this is due to a repetitive movement such as a painter reaching overhead to paint or someone not moving very much at all such as a desk based office worker. Sport and remedial massage can aid in relieving pain in the affected areas of the body whilst also helping to correct postural imbalances and poor mobility and movement patterns. Remedial massage can also assist those suffering from a range of other medical conditions.
Sport & Remedial Massage at Capital Physio:
Capital Physio offers sports massage at a range of their clinics delivered by experienced and qualified therapists who are trained to assess, treat and rehabilitate minor and chronic injuries. We employ a range of massage techniques working on both deep and superficial layers to maximise the benefits of massage. We may also include postural assessment and other soft tissue techniques such as Soft Tissue Release and Muscle Energy Techniques within our sessions to offer the best treatment to each individual. Our aim is to work with everybody who comes to see us to treat not just the symptoms but also the cause. We also work closely with the physiotherapists which allows us to call upon their experience and expertise should we need to.
If you have any questions or queries please get in touch and we would be happy to help!