Pre & Postnatal Checks
As a mum to be, it’s completely normal to have endless questions about what to expect from birth, and how your body will change, both during and after pregnancy. It’s natural to want to be as prepared as possible for bringing a new little life into the world.
The amount of information that’s available can be overwhelming, and make it tricky to find the answers you’re looking for. That’s why we launched both our prenatal checks and postnatal checks, to give you a chance to fire all your questions at our Women’s Health specialists and receive both support and guidance during your pre and post birth experience.
We will provide you with advice and tools to keep you comfortable, mobile and strong during your pregnancy, birth and beyond!
Who are our pre & postnatal checks for?
Our prenatal checks and postnatal checks are for:
- Anyone with worries or questions coming up to, or after birth (your physiotherapist will be your ‘go to’ person as a new mum/ to be).
- If you are concerned about the impact pregnancy and birth will have on any previous injuries.
- If you have attended basic antenatal classes but want a deeper understanding of what to expect.
- Anyone who loves to exercise and would like some guidance on how to continue your fitness while keeping you and your baby safe.
What will happen at my prenatal check?
There’s no one size fits all approach when it comes to physiotherapy. Each of us are different physiologically and psychologically, so this advice-based session will be largely tailored to your questions and needs, however some of what we cover is outlined below.
We will ask you about your:
- Birthing plan.
- Any problems or concerns during your pregnancy so far.
We will talk to you about:
- Hormonal and bodily changes before and after birth.
- How pregnancy may exacerbate certain injuries and how to prevent this from happening.
- The role of abdominal strength.
- Diastasis recti (a gap in between your right and left abdominal wall muscles) and how/when exercise can help.
- How to activate your pelvic floor and why/how/when to do these exercises.
- What to expect from your birthing experience.
After your check we will summarise what we have discussed via email, including notes around exercises, how and when to complete them.
Please note video assessments will take place via our secure online video platform Telehab.
What will happen at my postnatal check?
Similarly, to our prenatal checks, this session will largely be based around your individual experiences, but will cover the following:
We will ask you about what happened during the birth, and what’s happened since:
- if surgery was needed, and if so, what surgery.
- The pain levels you experienced.
- The comfort levels you have experienced.
- How mobile you have been since birth.
- If you’ve started any exercise.
We will talk to you about:
- How much exercise is enough/recommended.
- What to do post c-section or natural birth.
- Put a plan in place to kickstart your bodies birthing recovery, this may include recommendations on exercise e.g., Pilates.
What can I book and how much does it cost?
We have a few options for you to choose from when it comes to our pre and postnatal checks.
You can book a one-off session, in-person, or via video call:
Prenatal Check (30 mins) £49
Prenatal Check Video (30 mins) £49
Postnatal Check (30 mins) £49
Postnatal Check Video (30 mins) £49
Or opt for one of our packages at a reduced rate (please call to book a package):
Pre & Postnatal Package (2 x 30 mins) £90, £45 per session
Pre & Postnatal Package Video (2 x 30 mins) £90, £45 per session
Prenatal Trimester Package (3 x 30 mins) £135, £45 per session
Prenatal Trimester Package Video (3 x 30 mins) £135, £45 per session
If I want to continue seeing my physiotherapist after my checks, what should I do?
The support doesn’t end at the checks. Our Women’s Health physiotherapists are here for you whenever you need them.
Your physiotherapist will likely recommend you pop in for a review following your postnatal check, just to see how you’re getting on, and to renew your exercise programme.
You can book in for one of our standard Women’s Health Follow-up sessions or purchase a course of 3 or 6 sessions. If it has been 3 months since we last saw you, you will need to book in for an assessment before we proceed with further treatment.