Fitness and Performance
Training For Your Body Type
Ever wondered why the training and nutrition methods working wonders for your friends and family don’t seem to generate results for you? This could be due to you having different body types.
Read on to identify YOUR body type and find out how to adapt your nutrition and training plans accordingly, with expert advice from Bodyset physiotherapist Joshua Bryant.
WHICH BODY TYPE ARE YOU?
While we are all individuals, and lifestyle plays a huge part in our physique, most of us can identify with one body type from the three categories below. Once you’ve decided which best describes you, read on for some top tips tailored to your body type.
· Struggles to build muscle or gain weight no matter what they eat
· Generally has a smaller frame and bone structure
· Gains weight easily and struggles to lose it
· Generally has a larger frame and thicker bone structure
· Has a naturally athletic build
· Gains muscle quickly and loses body fat easily
TAILORED TIPS FOR YOUR BODY TYPE
Armed with the knowledge of which body type you naturally have, you can now optimise your diet and training accordingly for maximum results.
TIPS FOR ECTOMORPHS
- Avoid excessive cardio if your goal is to build muscle, instead focus on lifting weights for strength (rep range 4-6) with hypertrophy (rep range 8-12).
- Your macronutrient breakdown should start around 25% protein, 55% carbs and 20% fats.
TIPS FOR ENDOMORPHS
- If your goal is to lose weight, aim to do more HIIT (high-intensity interval training) / cardio-based workouts.
- A great fat burning method for this body type is working on a 40:20 basis (40 seconds of work / 20 seconds rest) to keep the work rate high.
- Your macronutrient breakdown should start around 35% protein, 25% carbs and 40% fats.
TIPS FOR MESOMORPHS
- Combining weights with a hypertrophy rep range work well for muscle building while cardio workouts will help you to lose fat.
- Your macronutrient breakdown should start around 30% protein, 40% carbs and 30% fats.
Click here to find your nearest Bodyset clinic and book an appointment with one of our expert physiotherapists for a programme tailored to your body’s needs. If you’re a social butterfly, don’t forget to follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram for our latest news, offers and expert advice.